One of the major determinants of the success of your Google search ads campaign is your keywords. Your keywords are the heartbeat of your Google ads account. Keywords instruct Google on which search term should trigger your ads.
Whether you are using Broad Match, Broad Modified Match, Phrase Match, Exact Match or Negative Match keywords, they should trigger the right ad with the highest probability of a quality click.
Here are 5 ways you can research keywords for your Google ads campaigns:
- Google Keyword Planner – Google Keyword Planner allows you to discover new keywords for your campaigns and also get monthly search volumes for your keywords. From Keyword Planner, you can add keywords to an already existing campaign and ad group or a new campaign. Researching keywords with this tool is simple and easy.
USING GOOGLE KEYWORD PLANNER
- Sign in to your Google ads account
- Click on Tools & Settings and select Keyword Planner
- You will be presented with 2 options. At the stage of keyword research, we only need the Discover new keywords option.
- Input some keywords related to your campaigns and your website URL for more specific results
- Ensure the correct country and language have been picked
- Click Get Results
- Google will show you a good number of keyword ideas you can work with and add to your campaign.
- Pick your keywords and determine which ad group you want to add them to and which match type you want for your campaign.
- Google Suggestions and Related Searches – Suggestions by Google when searching for your keyword can also serve as keyword ideas.
- Search for your keyword on Google
- Pick keyword ideas from suggestions by Google under the search box
- Scroll down to the bottom of the SERP page for related searches
- WordsMerger – This free tool creates unique word combinations from your keywords. These combinations can be generated as Broad Match, Negative Match, Broad Match Modified, Phrase Match or Exact Match.
- Visit wordsmerger.com
- Input the keywords you want to combine in the boxes
- Choose your match type
- Click Merge Words! Now you have some keyword ideas you can work with.
- Ubersuggest – Ubersuggest is another tool that gives tons of keyword ideas for your campaigns. It also gives the monthly search volume and estimated competition for the keyword.
- Visit neilpatel.com/ubersuggest/
- Sign in with your Google account
- Click Keyword Ideas
- Choose your country and search for your keyword in the search box
- Ubersuggest gives you a bunch of keyword ideas for your campaign.
- SEMRush – With SEMRush, you can get keyword ideas with estimated CPC, competitiveness and average monthly search volume. You can also export your keywords in different match types and discover question-based keywords that your target audience has been searching on Google. SEMRush is a paid tool.
- Visit semrush.com
- Create a free account
- Click Keyword Magic Tool
- Select the correct Country
- Input your seed keyword(s) and Search
Another way to gather keyword ideas using SEMRush is to analyse your competitor’s domain using the Domain Overview Tool.
After generating these keyword ideas, you need to go through them and determine which match type will work for your campaign and which should be added to your negative keyword list.
Note that estimates from other tools except Google Keyword Planner are largely inaccurate.